This recipe for bacon and mushroom pizza will leave you wanting more. Lunch, dinner or even for brunch it will be a crowd pleaser. By covering the pizza with sliced mushrooms you get the wonderful taste with every bite.
Makes one 30 cm (12 inch) Pizza
See how to make pizza dough from scratch with this recipe for Fresh Herb Pizza Dough.
Continue reading for money saving tips and gluten and dairy free options. There is also a PDF version of this recipe at the end of the post which can be printed or saved to your device to save on paper.
- 14 oz. (400g) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 3 Rashers Bacon
- Sliced Kalamata Olives
- 6 to 8 Button or Swiss Mushrooms
- 1 Small Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 Cups Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese
- Make the pizza dough or take out a pre-bought base and place on a lightly greased pizza pan. Then cook the bacon rashers in a frypan and drain on paper towels to soak up any extra oil. Set aside to cool.
- Next make the sauce by adding the tomatoes, garlic, oregano and sugar to a processor then blitz until smooth.
- Brush the base with olive oil to help prevent the sauce from making the bread soggy and spoon on the sauce. This sauce will make enough for two pizzas of this size. The leftover sauce can be put in a freezer bag and frozen until needed.
- Tear the bacon into bite size pieces and arrange on base, then add the olives (as many as you like). Thinly slice the mushrooms and cover the pizza then break apart the onion slices and sprinkle over.
- Finally add the cheese and bake in a preheated oven 425°F (220°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until the topping is cooked to your liking.
Mozzarella cheese can also be used or try a mix of cheddar and mozzarella.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 24.05 g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 12.237 g||61.2%|
|Trans Fat 0.679 g|
|Cholesterol 66 mg||22%|
|Sodium 782 mg||32.6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.84 g||3.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Sugars 6.02 g|
|Protein 18.05 g|
|Vitamin A 1014 IU||Vitamin C 14.8 mg|
|Calcium 431 mg||Iron 1.24 mg|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Grow Create Save
*The Nutrition Facts label above should be used as a guide only. The amounts can change depending on the brands you use. To reduce the fat content always try to buy reduced fat products and lean meat when you can afford it. Look for reduced salt products and low sugar without artificial sugar replacements.
The nutritional label above is for the toppings only. See this recipe for Fresh Herb Pizza Dough for nutritional values for the base.
For a quick weeknight meal, make two pizzas on the weekend then pre-bake one base for ten minutes. Add the toppings, wrap with plastic wrap then freeze. When needed take out of the plastic wrap then bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Try this top rated pizza pan for crisper results from Amazon. (Paid link)
Gluten and Dairy Free Options
For gluten free; use a gluten free pizza base and check the bacon for gluten. For dairy free; use a lactose or dairy free cheese if you can’t tolerate cheddar.
Consider buying a mushroom box and grow your own mushrooms. You will need a cool position inside your home or shed with good ventilation. Mushrooms like a constant mild temperature to grow well.
Buy bacon in bulk when it’s on special then divide into portions and freeze. Bacon will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer. Leave in the fridge overnight to thaw.
This guide to Creating Budget Friendly Meals covers everything from planning to making the most of in season vegetables and meat to using raw ingredients to create healthy and nutritious meals which cost less to make. A little forethought can save you a great deal of money over the course of the year.
To save or print this recipe for Bacon and Mushroom Pizza, here is the PDF Version.
Do you love growing and preserving your own food? Try this free Homesteading guide to save money at home.
Subscribe to our fortnightly mailing list to recieve our latest posts direct to your inbox & receive 50 ways to save money at home free.
We will never sell your address to third parties or send you spam.Follow Grow Create Save on: