This recipe for tomato topped macaroni and cheese combines a traditional mac and cheese with thin slices of tomato and sage for a fresh twist. Have as a side dish or serve for lunch with garlic bread.
Serves 4 Mains or 8 Sides
Continue reading for money saving tips and gluten and dairy free options. There is also a PDF version of this recipe at the end of the post which can be printed or saved to your device to save on paper.
- 2 Cups Dried Macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Plain Flour
- 2 ½ Cups Milk
- ⅛ Tsp. Black Pepper
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 2 Tomatoes Thinly Sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Sage Leaves Sliced Lengthways
- First cook the macaroni to the packet directions then set aside. While the pasta is cooking melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat then sauté the onion until tender.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion then stir in. Take off the heat then whisk in the milk. Return to the heat then cook stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Take off the heat then stir in the pepper and cheese. Once the cheese has melted stir in the drained pasta then transfer to a medium 2 quart (2 Lt) greased casserole dish.
- Lay the sliced tomato over the top, season with salt and pepper then sprinkle over the sage leaves. Bake in a moderate oven 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes or until bubbling around the edges and heated through.
- Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes before serving.
You can use whole sage leaves however; they will be more chewy than crisp.
Replace the sage leaves with fresh basil leaves or mix together 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1 tsp. dried basil and 1 tbsp. butter then dot over the tomatoes.
Try using 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese with 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19.12 g||29.4%|
|Saturated Fat 10.199 g||51%|
|Trans Fat 0.564 g|
|Cholesterol 52 mg||17.3%|
|Sodium 312 mg||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27.32 g||9.1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3 g||5.2%|
|Sugars 5.58 g|
|Protein 16.61 g|
|Vitamin A 728 IU||Vitamin C 2.1 mg|
|Calcium 391 mg||Iron 0.6 mg|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Grow Create Save
*The Nutrition Facts label above should be used as a guide only. The amounts can change depending on the brands you use. To reduce the fat content always try to buy reduced fat products and lean meat when you can afford it. Look for reduced salt products and low sugar without artificial sugar replacements.
Looking for a medium casserole dish? Try this beautiful dish from Amazon. (Paid link)
Gluten and Dairy Free Options
To make this tomato topped macaroni and cheese gluten free; use gluten free macaroni or similar pasta then use gluten free cornstarch in place of the flour in the sauce. For dairy free; use lactose free milk and dairy free spread. Some people with dairy intolerance can tolerate hard cheeses such as cheddar otherwise use dairy free cheese. Be aware that some dairy intolerance sufferers can’t tolerate lactose free milk however they may be able to have A2 milk which doesn’t have the A1 protein.
Save money by buying dried pasta in bulk packs. It has a long storage life of up to 2 years when stored in a cool dark place such as the pantry. Store dried pasta in an airtight container once opened to maintain its freshness. These durable set of 4 tall airtight storage containers are great for storing pasta and are highly rated on Amazon. (Paid link)
This is a great dish to have in the summertime with a barbeque when the tomatoes are ripening on their vines. Tomatoes are not difficult to grow at home and can be grown in pots if you don’t have a lot of room. See this guide to Growing Tomatoes in a Shade House for more information.
This guide to Creating Budget Friendly Meals covers everything from planning to making the most of in season vegetables and meat to using raw ingredients to create healthy and nutritious meals which cost less to make. A little forethought can save you a great deal of money over the course of the year.
To Save or Print this recipe for Tomato Topped Macaroni and Cheese, click the button below for the PDF File.
Subscribe to our fortnightly mailing list to recieve our latest posts direct to your inbox & receive 50 ways to save money at home free.
We will never sell your address to third parties or send you spam.Follow Grow Create Save on: