There are many creative Vaseline uses that come in handy in your day to day life. Vaseline is a must have item in your home that can be used to for many things from preventing leather shoes cracking to keeping blush on your cheeks longer.
Vaseline or petroleum jelly has a mixture of mineral oils and waxes which hasn’t changed much over the years. It forms a waterproof barrier which can help heal burns and moisturise skin.
Some people have an allergic reaction to petroleum-based products so it is wise to test a little on your skin first. Always clean the area first before applying Vaseline as it can trap in bacteria. Avoid putting Vaseline on your face if you are acne prone as it can make the acne worse.
Whatever you do, don’t be tempted to use Vaseline as a personal lubricant. It can increase the chances of infection.
Skin and Makeup Vaseline Uses
- Use regularly on knees, elbows and dry feet to soften skin and prevent it from becoming flaky.
- Apply to the lips to soften and heal chapped lips. This is cheaper than using lip balm.
- Sooth a sore red nose by applying a layer of Vaseline.
- Massage your feet with Vaseline after a pedicure to soften, lock in moisture and revitalise your feet.
- Smooth Vaseline around your hairline when colouring your hair to prevent the dye from staining your skin.
- Apply a little on your hands then rub through the ends of your hair to smooth split ends.
- Sooth skin after plucking by applying a thin layer on the skin.
- Apply to your hands before painting to make removing any paint splatter easier.
- Apply a thin layer of Vaseline under makeup to help it stay in place and make it easier to remove.
- Remove eye make up by applying Vaseline to a cotton pad (paid link) then gently rub over the eyes being careful not to get it in your eye.
- Use to smooth and define eyebrows.
- Create lip gloss with a mix of old lipstick and Vaseline.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How to Make Lip Gloss
- Remove Lipstick
First scrape out an old lipstick tube into a small container.
- Mix with Vaseline
Add one to two teaspoons of Vaseline to the lipstick then mix together with a small spoon or palette knife.
- Test the Colour
Test the colour on your lips. The colour will be lighter when applied to your lips than what it looks like in the container as you can see in these photos. Add more Vaseline to create a lighter shade.
Are you looking to buy Vaseline? This 3 pack from Amazon is great value. (Paid link)
Sports Vaseline Uses
- Smear Vaseline across your forehead to stop sweat from running into your eyes.
- Prevent swimming goggles leaking by smearing a little Vaseline where the goggles sit on the skin.
- Apply Vaseline on metal parts of sporting equipment to prevent rust such as bicycle handlebars, skates and fishing reels.
- Make roller blades go faster by applying Vaseline to the axles.
- Apply Vaseline to the spikes on running and football shoes to prevent mud from sticking.
- Coat a thin layer of Vaseline on the exterior of sports shoes to protect and soften.
- Rub Vaseline into your feet before running. It will prevent rubbing and blisters.
Home Vaseline Uses
- Rub Vaseline over candleholders before lighting a candle to make wax removal easier.
- If you are having trouble opening your drawers then apply Vaseline to the tracks.
- Smear on nuts and bolts to help them move more easily. If they still won’t budge try WD40. (Paid link)
- Apply to hinges to get rid of squeaking.
- Rub chrome with Vaseline to make it shine. This works well in bathrooms.
- Vaseline can also be used on your pets dry cracked paws. Wash the area first then apply the jelly.
Yes. Rub on with a clean cloth then wipe off with a damp clean cloth. The Vaseline will also help to protect your suede shoes. For older shoes wipe off any excess with a clean dry cloth as the leather will really soak up the Vaseline.
The picture below shows the shoe on the right cleaned with Vaseline. It makes quite a difference.
To Save or Print this guide to Vaseline Uses around the home, click the button below for the PDF file.
Subscribe to our fortnightly mailing list to receive our latest posts direct to your inbox & receive 50 ways to save money at home free.
We will never sell your address to third parties or send you spam.Follow Grow Create Save on: